Target your Maths Year 1 Workbook
Target your Maths for years 1 & 2 (CDs)
The intention of these sheets is to provide teachers with material to teach the statutory requirements set out in the Years 1 & 2 Programme of Study for Mathematics in the renewed 2014 National Curriculum Framework. The Programme of Study Guide matches the statutory requirements with the relevant sheet or sheets.
Each sheet is divided into three sections.
• Section A: activities based upon work previously covered. This section generally matches the requirements for Year 1 pupils. It can be used to remind children of work previously covered, as well as providing material for the less confident child.
• Section B: activities based upon the requirements for Year 2 pupils. Most children should be able to work successfully at this level.
• Section C: activities providing extension material for the faster workers and for those who need to be moved quickly onto more challenging tasks. The work in this section generally matches the requirements for the Year 3 pupils. Problems in Section C can also provide useful material for discussion in the plenary session.
The correspondence of the three sections A–C to the requirements for different year groups provides a simple, manageable structure for planning differentiated activities and for both formal and informal assessment of children’s progress. The commonality of the content pitched at different levels also allows for progression within the lesson. Children acquiring confidence at one level find they can successfully complete activities at the next level.
Each pack contains printable A4 pages to allow children to complete their work directly on to the sheets.
Maths on Target for years 1 & 2 (CDs)
The intention of these sheets is to provide teachers with material to teach all the NNS objectives, as set out in the yearly teaching programme, with all the children in their class able to work at their appropriate level of ability.
The structure of these sheets matches that of the renewed framework. They are arranged in five blocks, A–E, each of which consists of three units. To ensure progression throughout the year the units are best taught in the order in which they appear in both these sheets and the exemplar planning structure for Year 1 & 2 in the renewed framework.
One of the key principles for the approach to teaching recommended by the NNS is ‘controlled differentiation, with all pupils engaged in mathematics related to a common theme.’ Maths on Target is structured so that controlled differentiation is built into every lesson. How a teacher decides to use the material would depend upon the children’s familiarity with the topic and the amount of time that is available.
Each lesson in the book is divided into three sections.
- Section A: introductory activities which develop towards the learning outcomes. This section can be used to remind children of work previously encountered in Reception, as well as providing material for the less confident child.
- Section B: activities based upon the NNS expected learning outcomes for the pupils. Most children should be able to work successfully at this level.
- Section C: activities based upon the NNS expected learning outcomes for advanced pupils. This section provides extension material for the faster workers and for those who need to be moved quickly onto more challenging tasks. Problems in Section C can also provide useful material for discussion in the plenary session.
Each pack contains 100+ worksheets (A4 size) which are photocopiable so that children write their work on their sheets.
Target Maths for years 1 & 2 (CDs)
‘Target Maths’ was first published in 2002 and has since been updated into ‘Maths on Target’.